More Photos from the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center!

The Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center of the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum has more than 100 aircraft.

It also has the Donald D. Engen Tower, named in honor of former Director of the National Air and Space Museum, Vice Admiral Donald D. Engen.

The Bell UH-1H Iroquois would be introduced in 1956 as a replacement for the Korean War era H-13 medevac helicopter. The Huey, as it would become known, would become an indelible symbol of the Vietnam War.

This Huey served in Vietnam from 1966 to 1970, flying with the 229th Assault Helicopter Battalion of the 1st Cavalry, the 118th Assault Helicopter Company and 128th Assault Helicopter Company. Numerous patches on its skin attest to the ferocity of missions flown while operating as a "Smoke Ship," laying down smokescreens for air assault operations with the 11th Combat Aviation Battalion.

The Sikorsky UH-34D Seahorse helicopter would begin its life as a Navy anti-submarine helicopter. Starting in 1962 the H-34 would become the primary Marine Corps assault helicopter of the Vietnam War. This Marine Corps UH-34D never served overseas, but wears the markings of Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 163 that did see extensive combat in Vietnam.

This is the first Lockheed Martin X-35B Joint Strike Fighter ever built.

It would originally be an X-35A, but was modified for testing.

The Grumman A-6E Intruder would be delivered to the Navy in 1963 and the Marine Corps in 1964. The Navy accepted this particular airplane as an "A" model in 1968. It served under harsh combat conditions in the skies over Vietnam and is a veteran of the 1991 Desert Storm campaign, when it flew missions during the first 72 hours of the war. It has accumulated more than 7,500 flying hours, over 6,500 landings, 767 carrier landings, and 712 catapult launches.

In this aircraft, then a Navy F-4J, on May 18, 1972, Cmdr. S. C. Flynn and his radar intercept officer, Lt. W. H. John, spotted three enemy MiG fighters off the coast of Vietnam and shot down one MiG-21 with a Sidewinder air-to-air missile.

This is a Mikoyan-Gurevich MIG-21F "Fishbed C." The MiG-21 would be the Soviet Union's first truly modern, second-generation jet fighter. Testing began in 1956, and the first version entered service in 1960 as the MiG-21F-13.

This is a Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15bis "Fagot B."

The Soviets designed the Fagot B in 1946 to answer an urgent need for a high-altitude day interceptor. It first flew in late 1947.

This MiG-15bis is a Chinese Ji-2 modification. The Smithsonian acquired it in 1985.

This is a Focke-Wulf Fw 190 F. Nicknamed "the Würger" (Butcher Bird), the Fw 190 entered service in 1941 and flew throughout World War II on all fronts. This Fw 190 F-8 was originally manufactured as an Fw 190 A-7 fighter. During 1944 it was remanufactured as a fighter-bomber and issued to ground attack unit SG 2. After Germany's surrender it was shipped to Freeman Field, Indiana, then transferred to the Smithsonian in 1949. Its 1980-83 restoration revealed a succession of color schemes. It now appears as it did while serving with SG 2 in 1944.

The Arado Ar 234 B Blitz (Lightning) was the world's first operational jet bomber and reconnaissance aircraft. The first Ar 234 combat mission, a reconnaissance flight over the Allied beachhead in Normandy, took place August 2, 1944. With a maximum speed of 735 kilometers (459 miles) per hour, the Blitz easily eluded Allied piston-engine fighters. This Ar 234 B-2 served from December 1944 until May 1945, when British forces captured it in Norway. Turned over to the United States, it was brought to Wright Field, Ohio, in 1946 for flight testing. In 1949 it was transferred to the Smithsonian, which restored it in 1984-89. This Arado is the sole survivor of its type.

This is a Grumman F-14 Tomcat, built in the 1970s it would kill a MiG on January 04, 1989 near the coast of Libya.

On January 4, 1989, near the Libyan coast, Two VF-32 F-14As flying CAP from the USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67) are alerted to a pair of Libyan Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-23 Floggers. The MiG-23s had taken off from Al Bumbaw Airfield near Tobruk. The F-14s locked the MiGs with their powerful AWG-9 radar. Normally such a radar lock resulted in the MiGs retreating back to Libya--not this time. The Tomcats were threatened by the AA-7 Apex missile-carrying Floggers and were cleared to engage the MiGs. During a lengthy six- to eight-minute air battle, the MiGs continued to threaten the Tomcats and finally, after several attempts to evade the MiG radar threat, the incoming pair of MiG-23s were declared hostile and the F-14 crews were cleared to engage. The crew of the lead F-14A, AC202 fired an AIM-7 Sparrow missile which did not strike its target, while the second F-14A's, AC207 (BuNo. 159610) AIM-7 found its target destroying one of the MiG-23s. The lead F-14 re-engaged the remaining MiG-23 firing an AIM-9 Sidewinder heat-seeking missile which detonated in the tailpipe of the Flogger. Both MiG pilots ejected safely from their destroyed aircraft.

This is a Mahoney Sorceress designed and built by Lee Mahoney and his father, S. C. "Mickey" Mahoney. The Sorceress would be the first sport biplane to exceed 200 mph (322 kph) on a closed course. The aircraft proved so successful that the rules governing its competition qualification were modified to such an extent that the Sorceress was forced into retirement. Fitted with only a single 135-horsepower Lycoming O-290-D2 engine, this unique metal staggerwing biplane flew to many victories during its distinguished career in the 1970s. Noted air racing pilot Don Beck purchased the Sorceress in 1972 and flew it to many more wins. Beck gave the aircraft to the Museum in 1984.

On July 15, 1954, a graceful, swept-winged aircraft, bedecked in brown and yellow paint and powered by four revolutionary new engines first took to the sky above Seattle. Built by the Boeing Aircraft Company, the 367-80, better known as the Dash 80, would come to revolutionize commercial air transportation when its developed version entered service as the famous Boeing 707, America's first jet airliner.

Affectionately known in Germany as Tante Ju, or "Auntie Ju," the Junkers Ju 52/3m was one of the most successful European airliners ever made. Designed for Deutsche Luft Hansa in 1932, the Ju 52/3m was a tri-motor version of the single-engine Ju-52. It could carry 17 passengers or 3 tons of freight and had excellent short-field performance. By the mid-1930s, airlines throughout Europe and Latin America were flying them. In World War II, they were the Luftwaffe's primary transports, and some served as bombers. A total of 4,835 Ju 52/3ms were built, including 170 under license by Construcciones Aeronauticas (CASA) in Spain and more than 400 by Ateliers Aeronautiques de Colombes in France. This airplane is a Spanish-built CASA 352-L. Lufthansa German Airlines acquired it for promotional flights, then donated it to the Smithsonian in 1987.

This Lockheed 1049F-55-96 "Constellation" (or "Connie") remained in service until November 1977, when it was retired after 21½ years of military service, thousands of flying hours, and countless ocean crossings, which for propeller driven aircraft were long endurance flights often exceeding 12 or 14 hours.

The Lockheed P-38J Lightning is one of the most successful twin-engine fighters ever flown by any nation.

From 1942 to 1945, U. S. Army Air Forces pilots flew P-38s over Europe, the Mediterranean, and the Pacific, and from the frozen Aleutian Islands to the sun-baked deserts of North Africa. Lightning pilots in the Pacific theater downed more Japanese aircraft than pilots flying any other Allied warplane. Maj. Richard I. Bong, America's leading fighter ace, flew this P-38J-10-LO on April 16, 1945, at Wright Field, Ohio, to evaluate an experimental method of interconnecting the movement of the throttle and propeller control levers. However, his right engine exploded in flight before he could conduct the experiment. Transferred from the United States Air Force.

The idea of the rocket belt appeared in "Buck Rogers" comic strips as early as 1929. Wendell Moore of Bell Aerosystems was the first to develop the invention in the mid-1950s. In the 1960s the U.S. military seriously studied the device as an aid to combat soldiers but found its short duration of just a few seconds too limited. Today, Jet Packs are mainly used for air shows, movie stunts or in football half-time shows and other events. This Bell No. 2 rocket belt was donated to the Smithsonian in 1973 by Bell Aerospace.

This is an Apollo Boilerplate Command Module constructed to undergo various tests and to serve as training vehicles for astronauts and other mission crew members. BP 1102A is actually constructed of aluminum, with a fiberglass outer shell and an actual Command Module hatch. The initial use of BP1102A was as the water egress trainer for all Apollo flights, including by the crew of Apollo 11, the first lunar landing mission. As such, it was fitted with actual or mock-up interior components and used by astronauts to practice routine and emergency exits from the spacecraft. Subsequently, the interior was set up to be configured either as Apollo/Soyuz or a five-man rescue vehicle as once proposed for Skylab so that astronauts could train for those missions. It was finally transferred from NASA to the Smithsonian in 1977, and is displayed now at the Hazy Center with the flotation collar and bags that were attached to Columbia at the end of its historic mission.

This is a Saturn V Instrument Ring from a Saturn V Rocket. The booster had its own inertial system, separate from the guidance systems on the Command and Lunar Modules. This was contained in an "Instrument Unit" (IU): 1 meter (3 feet) high by 6.7 meters (22 feet) in diameter, located between the third stage of the Saturn rocket and the payload. The prime contractor for this system was the Federal Systems Division of the IBM, in cooperation with NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, at Huntsville, Alabama. IBM also built the digital computer installed inside this Unit. This is an unflown specimen that was intended for an Apollo mission that was canceled, possibly "Apollo 19."

This small version of a Mercury spacesuit was one of perhaps a dozen made by the B. F. Goodrich Corporation in the early 1960s. They were given to VIPs for goodwill and publicity purposes.

This is a Buck Rogers Rocket Pistol Toy.

Here are an X-27 Astronaut Toy and a Piston Action Robot Toy.

This is an engineering control and display unit for the International Ultraviolet Explorer (IUE) satellite, which operated from 1978 to 1996. The center section contains two CRTs, a keyboard, and a joystick. Facades simulating a minicomputer and disk drive are attached at the right. The instrument facades, a keyboard, a teleprinter, and a working CRT were added at that time to simulate a working IUE console. The unit was transferred to NASM by NASA in 1982; it was on display in the Stars gallery from then until the exhibit closed in 1997. Preserved with the console are paper notes, memoranda, and other ephemera typical of an operating environment.

This is a Curtiss N-9H, a seaplane version of the famous Curtiss JN-4D trainer used by the U.S. Air Service during the First World War. To make the conversion, a single large central pontoon was mounted below the fuselage, with a small float fitted under each wingtip. These changes required a 10-foot increase in wingspan to compensate for the additional weight. During the war, 2,500 Navy pilots were trained on the N-9H. In addition to training a generation of Navy pilots, the N-9H was used to develop tactics for ship-borne aircraft operations in 1916 and 1917, using catapults mounted on armored cruisers. After the war, the airplane was again employed to successfully demonstrate a compressed air turntable catapult.